Expressions in Dance offers a wide variety of dance classes for ages 3+. Classes start at the beginning of September and run through mid-June. All classes meet once a week for one hour and are set up to show progression at each level. In June, we have a yearly recital where all the students are able to perform their routines! All students are invited to participate, though it is not mandatory. During the summer time Expressions in Dance also offers dance camp.
Classes offered throughout the year: Ballet, Pointe, Lyrical, Tap, Jazz, Hip Hop, Acro & Zumba
Types of Classes:
1) Pre-School classes are for the three and four year olds. They meet in the morning or early afternoon according to their nursery school schedule. In class we offer one-half hour of ballet and one-half hour of pre-tumbling. Each subject is to develop strength and coordination.
2) Kindergarten classes are for the five year olds who go to kindergarten in school. their hour class includes twenty minutes of ballet, tap and pre-tumbling. This is to give the child and parents an introduction to dance. Classes are scheduled in the morning and early afternoon. Sessions will change in January along with the public schools.
3) Pre-Tumbling for the young! This is a class for three, four and five year old boys and girls. Pre-tumbling introduces the child to basis acrobatic and body strengthening skills.
4) Ballet classes are set at progressive levels from beginner to advanced. Students are taught all basic skills and technique in ballet. Barre, centre work and combinations are included in every class. No student is introduced to pointe until ten years of age or strength and ability have been developed.
5) Jazz classes include warm-up stretches, isolations, basic jazz walks and combinations. Here the student learns to coordinate body movement and technique with steps and routines.
6) Tap classes are programmed in levels of basis steps, time steps, soft shoe and progressive combinations. Tap dancing develops the ear for musical rhythms and syncopation's.
7) Acrobatic classes develop strength and technique for acrobatic tricks. All tricks are learned on a mat and at each individual student's progression, from basic tumbling to advanced aerial combinations.
8) Private Lessons are for students who are serious in dance. Students must take an hour class in the same subject. Also a student must have had at least three years of training in the same subject they wish to study privately.
9) Semi--Private are taken by two people for a half hour. The price is divided by the two students. Students must take an hour class in the same subject. The student must have three years training in the same subject also.
Expressions in Dance has been in been in business since 1978. Owned and operated by Christine King, Expressions in Dance has and continues to be a leading dance school on the North Shore.